How Much Can a Ford Explorer Tow?
The 2019 Ford Explorer can tow between 3,000 and 5,000 pounds when properly equipped, and it has a payload capacity of 1,259 to 1,717 pounds. When you’re towing a small camper for a fun weekend away from Rifle or when you need to get all the necessary supplies to your latest construction project, you can count on the new Ford Explorer to keep you moving forward. Discover this SUV’s towing capacity, performance specs, and more with Glenwood Springs Ford today!
Ford Explorer Engine Options
When you choose the Explorer to get you around Grand Junction, you’ll have a choice of three strong engines:
- 3.5L V6: With Ti-VCT (twin independent variable camshaft timing), this engine is capable of delivering 290 hp and 255 lb-ft of torque.
- 2.3L EcoBoost® 4-Cylinder: Your Explorer will earn up to 19 mpg city/27 mpg highway while delivering 280 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque when you opt for the 2.3L EcoBoost.
- 3.5L EcoBoost® V6: With the help of a turbocharger and direct injection, this engine can produce 365 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque. When you choose the Explorer Sport or Platinum trims, this is the standard engine.
Ford Explorer Towing Packages
You can equip your 2019 Ford Explorer SUV with a towing package to give it a little extra grit. Grand Junction drivers have two options:
- Class II Trailer Tow Package: You can equip this package on a Ford Explorer with the 2.3L engine. It includes everything you need to tow up to 3,000 pounds, including a frame-mounted hitch and wiring harness.
- Class III Trailer Tow Package: Available for the 3.5L V6 engine, this package includes an engine oil cooler, a frame-mounted hitch, and four- and seven-pin trailer connectors. This is the package needed to tow up to 5,000 pounds.
Towing Safety Features
Just like the rest of the Ford lineup, the Ford Explorer is equipped with smartly-designed towing safety features. Here are two that will assist you when you’re towing through Denver:
- Intelligent 4WD with Terrain Management System™: Easily switch between Normal, Mud/Rut, Sand, or Grass/Gravel/Snow modes when you need to. There’s no terrain you can’t take on!
- AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™: This system monitors yaw and roll rates through the use of gyroscopic sensors. You’ll remain in control if you experience a wheel-slip, oversteer, or understeer, and with the help of Curve Control, maneuvering tight corners is easy.
Experience the Ford Explorer at Glenwood Springs Ford Today!
When you’re ready to see for yourself what the Explorer is capable of, visit us in Glenwood Springs for a test drive! You’ll love how in-control you feel behind the wheel of this capable SUV. Contact us if you have any questions, and be sure to browse our new vehicle specials for a great deal near Montrose. Considering a Ford Credit plan for your new Explorer? Learn more about the benefits and options with Glenwood Springs Ford.
Latest on Ford Models from Glenwood Springs Ford
What is the towing capacity of a Ford F-150? Whether you have large loads to haul around Rifle, or you’re planning to set out from Grand Junction on a camping trip, knowing the F-150 towing capacity is important. The Ford F-150 can tow up to 13,200 when properly equipped, and this varies by engine. Ford F-150…
The 2019 Ford Escape has a total of 68 cubic feet of cargo space, which isn’t much less than the larger Ford Edge offers. While the Escape is known to offer great fuel efficiency and a choice range of configurations, its status as a utility vehicle should not be overlooked. Rifle families will appreciate the…
The 2019 Ford Explorer can tow between 3,000 and 5,000 pounds when properly equipped, and it has a payload capacity of 1,259 to 1,717 pounds. When you’re towing a small camper for a fun weekend away from Rifle or when you need to get all the necessary supplies to your latest construction project, you can…