How Much Can a Ford Explorer Tow?
The 2019 Ford Explorer can tow between 3,000 and 5,000 pounds when properly equipped, and it has a payload capacity of 1,259 to 1,717 pounds. When you’re towing a small camper for a fun weekend away from Rifle or when you need to get all the necessary supplies to your latest construction project, you can count on the new Ford Explorer to keep you moving forward. Discover this SUV’s towing capacity, performance specs, and more with Glenwood Springs Ford today!
Ford Explorer Engine Options
When you choose the Explorer to get you around Grand Junction, you’ll have a choice of three strong engines:
- 3.5L V6: With Ti-VCT (twin independent variable camshaft timing), this engine is capable of delivering 290 hp and 255 lb-ft of torque.
- 2.3L EcoBoost® 4-Cylinder: Your Explorer will earn up to 19 mpg city/27 mpg highway while delivering 280 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque when you opt for the 2.3L EcoBoost.
- 3.5L EcoBoost® V6: With the help of a turbocharger and direct injection, this engine can produce 365 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque. When you choose the Explorer Sport or Platinum trims, this is the standard engine.
Ford Explorer Towing Packages
You can equip your 2019 Ford Explorer SUV with a towing package to give it a little extra grit. Grand Junction drivers have two options:
- Class II Trailer Tow Package: You can equip this package on a Ford Explorer with the 2.3L engine. It includes everything you need to tow up to 3,000 pounds, including a frame-mounted hitch and wiring harness.
- Class III Trailer Tow Package: Available for the 3.5L V6 engine, this package includes an engine oil cooler, a frame-mounted hitch, and four- and seven-pin trailer connectors. This is the package needed to tow up to 5,000 pounds.
Towing Safety Features
Just like the rest of the Ford lineup, the Ford Explorer is equipped with smartly-designed towing safety features. Here are two that will assist you when you’re towing through Denver:
- Intelligent 4WD with Terrain Management System™: Easily switch between Normal, Mud/Rut, Sand, or Grass/Gravel/Snow modes when you need to. There’s no terrain you can’t take on!
- AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™: This system monitors yaw and roll rates through the use of gyroscopic sensors. You’ll remain in control if you experience a wheel-slip, oversteer, or understeer, and with the help of Curve Control, maneuvering tight corners is easy.
Experience the Ford Explorer at Glenwood Springs Ford Today!
When you’re ready to see for yourself what the Explorer is capable of, visit us in Glenwood Springs for a test drive! You’ll love how in-control you feel behind the wheel of this capable SUV, and how much space there is for passengers and cargo alike. Contact us if you have any questions, and be sure to browse our new vehicle specials for a great deal near Montrose. Considering a Ford Credit plan for your new Explorer? Learn more about the benefits and options with Glenwood Springs Ford.
Latest on Ford Models from Glenwood Springs Ford
For Rifle drivers shopping for a new compact SUV, they should consider the Escape, due in part to the Ford Escape towing capacity. The 2020 Ford Escape is a compact SUV that, despite its smaller stature, feels much stronger thanks to a powerful Ford Escape engine. With a roomy interior, Grand Junction drivers can’t help…
The saying goes that if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it, and that is certainly the case with the 2020 Ford F-150 towing capacity. The new F-150 carries over momentum from the previous model year, boasting the same maximum tow rating of 13,200 pounds (that’s more than the RAM 1500) and offering a range of powertrain…
Choosing from the three distinct models within the 2020 Ford Ranger lineup is no easy task for Grand Junction drivers. All provide compelling features, strong performance, and off-road capabilities. Plus, drivers also have to decide between bed sizes. Find out what each of the Ford Ranger trim levels has in store with this guide from Glenwood Springs Ford….